Why do we need Black Card?
Black card is needed when there is a serious exposure difference in a photograph. (such as sky and the ground) Black card is also needed when shooting long exposures. The most common areas that Black card is applied are sunrise, sunset and night time.
Black Card is always being used in the following areas:
- Landscapes with huge exposure difference (Low shutter speed is applicable)
- Magic Hour (Sunrise, Sunset)
- Car Trail
- Smooth Silky Water
Black Card instructions
Firstly, metering the upper and lower part separately before taking the picture and calculate the difference. After that, take away the lens hood and cover the proper part with Black Card. Moving the card from the top to the bottom, stick to the lens closely and cover the bright part. Hence, bright part can be covered by the Black Card.
Can GND replace Black Card?
Basically we could not use Black Card while we are using fast shutter speed like 1/200s or 1/1000s as we have to calculate the covering time manually. GND will be needed in the above situation.
Fotobeginner Black Card Highlights:
- 24 x 14.5cm, suitable for lens diameter up to 95mm while you can still hold the Black Card with your hand.
- 2mm Selected material, remaining its toughness for waving the card and light-weight at the same time
- Velvet surface for one side, preventing from reflection.
- Wavy edge gives a natural and smooth result when waving the Black Card.
- Coming with a key hole, easy to carry and store
Fotobeginner Black Card Demonstration